Given the range of different responsibilities associated with this support position, and the amount of flexibility required, it’s ideal for a recent film graduate or someone with a working knowledge of production and post workflows looking to gain greater experience in the industry.
At Journeyman, we produce innovative work with dozens of clients peppered all across Canada. We typically have 30-40 projects on the go at any given time. With a core staff, freelance creative collaborators, and high-energy clients all working together to produce great content, we need our production workflow to be seamless and our organizational protocols to be locked down in order to be successful. That’s where you come in!
About the role
As Assistant Editor, you will play a big role in the post-production process. From preparing projects for editors (we work in Final Cut Pro X), to assisting with finishing in post, to meticulously archiving projects, this role requires a lot of flexibility and responsiveness in dealing with daily challenges.
We’ve learned that to guarantee great work even amidst hectic schedules and the odd “oh my gosh the world is ending” technical disaster, everyone needs to be a leader in their own right. That means coming to know and understand our processes inside and out and, more importantly, sticking to them.
Now this doesn’t mean we’re looking for a production cyborg who communicates in 1s and 0s, longing for a future in which it will finally come to understand and experience love. Heck no! As part of a small team, cultural fit is of equal importance to us. If you like to play a big role on a small team, great! If you are wired to solve problems and prevent fires — rather putting them out — even better! We should note, in this role you’ll need some flexibility in your life that allows you to occasionally work outside typical 9-5 day, as our production schedule requires.
What we offer you:
We offer creative people a solid foundation to build skills and careers. We believe in transformation and we challenge everyone who touches Journeyman to grow and develop – to build your story.
We’ve got an awesome workspace. Our team is based in a new, custom studio space a few blocks up from Halifax Harbour in downtown Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. You’ll love it.
We have a comprehensive health and insurance benefits program for members of the team. And a compensation philosophy intended to reward great company performance through team incentives.
Imagine yourself in the Journeyman story, and give us a sense of what makes you tick. Then send in your resume and cover letter that demonstrate your:
- Track record for being impeccably organized and detail oriented
- Experience working under tight deadlines
- Solid technical skills and ability to learn new technology quickly
- Solid experience with production and post workflows and a passion for efficiency and innovation
- Proficiency with macOS and professional editing software (FCPX preferred)
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator) is a plus
- Ability to work independently, prioritizing tasks and maintaining focus
- Clear communication skills
- Nearly parental instincts for the health and well-being of computer equipment (We can teach you some specifics, but you have to know how to love)
AND, as part of your application/cover letter, share your thoughts on these questions (we want to get to know you!):
- Where do you want to go with your life?
- How is this role a fit for you?
- What’s the biggest thing standing in your way to getting where you want to go?
- How can we support you – what do you need from us to be successful?
- What are the three biggest strengths you bring to take Journeyman further in our story?
- What does it mean to you to be fit, brave, grounded and global?
Please get in touch through email at: email@example.com and reference “Assistant Editor – [your name]” in the subject line.
We’ll continue our search until we find the right person, but we’d like to start looking at pitches as soon as possible. Please send us your submission by Monday, June 12th. We sincerely thank anyone who takes an interest in our company, but only those applicants to be interviewed will be contacted.